Saturday 23 July 2011

Bli's Chocolate Brownies! ! !

We have family friends coming over for dinner today so I baked chocolate brownies. What is it about chocolate that makes people go: Ohhhhhh! 

Well, that's the reaction of most people. Unless your name is Shweta Dasgupta. If it is, you probably won't even watch Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory let alone eat a chocolate brownie. (Haha Shweta, I couldn't resist :p).

So anyway, there are many types of brownies: With nuts, without, gooey, not gooey. I prefer the plain ones. I don't need the additional burden of chopping walnuts (or pecans, if you prefer) only to have them stuck between my teeth. Excuse me but, ew. 

The thing about baking is that till your final product is out of the oven, you won't know whether you've got a cracker of a dish or whether you've got a burnt lump of coal.

This recipe makes 21 small,16 modest or 8 gigantic brownies.

Melt about 140 grams of dark (Min 60% cocoa content) chocolate in a bowl with 80 grams of butter. Whisk till most of the chocolate bits dissolve and then mix in 4 eggs. You should have a mixture like so:


In a separate bowl, sift in 100 grams of plain all purpose flour, a teaspoon of baking powder, 2 heaped tablespoons of cocoa powder and 250 grams of sugar. Then fold in the dry ingredients into the melted chocolate mix and pour it into a greased brownie pan. I don't have a brownie pan so I put aluminium foil over a pyrex dish, greased the aluminium foil with a bit of butter and poured my concoction in it :) 

Chocolate waterfall anyone?


Anyway, this goes in a preheated oven at 180C for 30 minutes or till a toothpick inserted into the middle of the brownie comes out semi clean (there should be wet crumbs on the toothpick. If it comes out clean then you've over-baked your brownies. Congratulations. You've just baked a brownie cake.).

The holes on top of my brownie represent the number of times I checked on my brownie :p. I didn't bother with a toothpick. I used a chopstick. I'm so awesomely graceful. 

Let this cool completely, cut and enjoy. 
That reminds me. I should check on the brownies. The last I counted, I had only 15 left. Darn my brother. 


No comments:

Post a Comment